NATIONAL CAREER ASSESSMENT EXAMINATION
The NCAE was developed to improve the quality of secondary education graduates entering college. It aims to maintain the highest quality of education in the Philippines by leading the flow of students to courses in post-
Commonly Asked Questions
1. Why was NCAE created and what are its objectives?
• minimize indiscriminate wastage of manpower and other resources which otherwise could be directed towards more productive ventures, i.e. supplying manpower needs of vocational, agricultural, technical, and entrepreneurial fields.
• assess the abilities the students has developed through the years which are essential for successful college or becoming an entrepreneur.
• serve as basis for the selection of scholars in the Commission on Higher Education’s (CHED) scholarship program.
2. Is NCAE a pre-
• recommendatory in nature for the first two years, i.e. to guide each examinee in choosing which course or career option to take after high school. This is the second year of its implementation.
• On its third year of implementation subject to the passing of an appropriate law, the NCAE will be a prerequisite for enrolment in any four-
3. How often will the NCAE be administered?
• August every year to all fourth year high school students in public and private secondary schools.
4. Who are covered by the NCAE?
• Fourth year high school students in public schools
• Fourth year high school students in private schools with existing permit to operate from DepEd .
5. Is NCAE different from NCEE?
• Both are general scholastic aptitude tests
• Both intend to measure the potential or inclination of a senior high school
• NCAE is different for having three additional domains: technical-
6. How will NCAE guide graduating students and their parents in determining the career track they should take?
• results of the three domains of the test namely: General Scholastic Aptitude, Technical-
• interest inventory shows the inclinations of the students in a particular occupational field.
• The test results will validate the previously thought career choice by showing the student’s strengths and weaknesses in the aforementioned domains.
7. How have the parents responded to the results of the exam? Are they willing to follow the results of the exam in the planning of their children’s careers?
• No survey has been conducted as of this time
• There, however, exists public affirmation of the implementation of the NCAE as it is regarded useful in minimizing job mismatch in the world of work.
8. Given the results of the exam, will these results change policy directions of DepEd in its focus on the basic education curriculum?
• Based on the results of the NCAE, majority of our high school graduates have inclinations toward technical-
• The tech-
• It is also DepEd’s goal to improve the abilities of students in the general scholastic domain.
9. How can the results of the exam help solve the problem of job mismatch?
• DepEd desires to minimize, if not avoid, career mismatch among high school students entering college. With the results of the NCAE, the students will be directed to occupational fields where they would be potentially productive.
10. What does DepEd plan for NCAE in the future?
• passage of appropriate law to make the test result serve as a prerequisite for enrolment in any four-